This week’s Top 5 Wednesday topic is goals! Huzzah! To join us in Top 5 Wednesdays, just join the Goodreads group.
Most of these are reading goals, but a couple are general life goals. I’m typically a big goal setter, but the last few years, I’ve tried to keep goals simple and manageable (and realistically achievable). I find this helps boost confidence while also building up discipline toward the things I want to achieve. My goals for this year are definitely going to be a big challenge, but I’m ready to hit them hard!
- Read 100 books // I somehow managed to read 90 books in 2016 when my goal was originally 36, so I decided, why not? The only person holding me back from hitting the 100 mark is me! Onward we go! (I’ve already got 1 short story and 2 full novels under my belt, so we’re off to a good start.)
- Read more YA. // There are so many great YA authors and books floating around out there and the genre has always been a favorite. I read some YA last year, but not a ton. I’ll probably stick with fantasy YA, but it still counts. I’m not a huge fan of contemporary fiction unless it really grabs me.
- Get better at writing book reviews. // Sometimes I’m just lazy about writing extensive book reviews, other times I just have trouble expressing how amazing (or not amazing) a book was in so many words. This year, my goal is to significantly improve my reviewer skills and bring some pizzaz to them.
- Be able to watch anime without subtitles by the end of the year. // I’ve been slowly working on building up my Japanese skills for years and it is really important to me that I get conversational with the language before 2018. I’m trying to do a bit of study every day and it is starting to click. Anime is a top fave of mine and it seemed like a good, measurable goal to shoot for.
- Celebrate others and refuse to tear down myself. // Real talk. I get jealous and so down on myself when I look at other writers or readers who seem so much more talented than me. I think this is normal, but I don’t want to settle for bad habits like this. This year, I’m going to try to step up my positivity game and work hard to celebrate my fellow writers and readers for their amazing, unique skills and do the same in myself.
What are your goals for the new year?! Any series you’re particularly looking forward to reading or a specific number of books you’d like to read? Comment and tell us!