The prompt for today is:
December 14th – Series That Got Worse with Each Book: What series started out strong but got increasingly worse with each book?
WOW. Talk about a really really hard topic to think about and write about. I have had to wrack my brain to find 5 series to expand on here and I’m still not sure these are the answers I’d like to give. BUT I’m always up for a challenge. Here we go!
- Scarlet and the White Wolf by Kirby Crow – I loved the first book in this series. Loved it. Scarlet is a pedlar who meets a roguish bandit on a mountain pass and slowly falls in love with him. There was action, adventure, and some UST that made it all worthwhile. But, in the second book, they travel on a ship to the White Wolf’s homeland and things get…uncomfortable. Liall (The White Wolf) treats Scarlet like a child and that really bothered me. In book 1 there was all this equal footing and it slowly devolved into Liall telling Scarlet what to do all the time and withholding information from him. Perhaps this didn’t bother other readers, but it did bother me. I find myself hesitant to read book 3 and beyond if it will just be more of the same. Perhaps book 3 would redeem the series for me which is why I’m like…do I continue?
- Dragon Blood Series by Lindsay Buroker – I feel sacrilegious even saying this. I am a ginormous Lindsay Buroker fangirl, but I have to say it. I had trouble with this series. I adored her Emperor’s Edge series to pieces. It is still one of my favorites. But I just didn’t care about these characters enough to continue in the middle of book 5. I know, I know…if I made it 5 books in, why couldn’t I finish it? But I just don’t care enough to continue. I mean, the main premise is interesting, but a dragon doesn’t show up until book 4 and so far in book 5 (at 33% in), still no dragons. I was hoping for more dragon action but it just didn’t deliver. Sorry, Buroker. Like I said, I feel like a traitor saying this… *huddles in a corner, ashamed*
- The Sevenwaters Series by Juliet Marillier – Again, I feel like a traitor, but I have to say it. I just did not enjoy books 3 – 6 anywhere near as much as books 1 and 2 of this series. Feel free to disagree, but I just didn’t. Book 1, Daughter of the Forest is my one of my absolute favorite books of ALL time. I read it at 13 and it literally changed much of how I viewed womanhood, faith, and historical fantasy fiction in general. Sorcha is one of the bravest and most courageous heroines I’ve ever seen and her relationship with Red is precious, precious, precious. But books 3-6 were lackluster in comparison to the first 2 books.
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – I am probably in the minority here, but though I enjoyed book 1, book 2 was just okay to me, and book 3 was a DNF. I know it is one of the most popular series to come along in forever, but they just didn’t grab me like they did so many others.
- Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer – Again, probably an unpopular opinion, but RENESME. COME ON. Enough said, really.
I did it! I managed to find 5 book series that I felt could have been so much more and ended up being merely okay or worse.
What are your series that you feel really went downhill after book 1? I’d love to hear!